Saturday, January 31, 2004

the american street: Jesus, Truth and Mel Gibson's The Passion

Just interesting. the american street: Jesus, Truth and Mel Gibson's The Passion I'm continue to find this whole furor over the movie fascinating, if only because Gibson seems intent on fueling it. He anticipates attacks, so he preemptively pisses off the people he thinks are going to attack him, so that when they respond to his inanities, he gets to say that he's been proven correct. Weird.

I haven't seen the movie, obviously, and I don't like to make judgements of things I haven't seen (or read or heard, for that matter), so I have nothing to say about the charges that it's anti-semitic. I just don't know. But ever since I heard about the film going into production, I thought that it was an interesting idea, and could potentially be a fascinating film. What bewilders me is the profession by Gibson that this is a project driven so intently by his faith, while his actions of showing the film only to conservative pundits and political (!?!?) commentators, along with clergy that share his points of view, suggest a much different agenda. Why sully your faith with such blatant political pandering?

No comments: