Thursday, January 22, 2004

Pick a candidate, any candidate

So, it looks like I have to write my hypertext links by hand. That really sucks.

There's an interesting site, President Match, that lets you answer a bunch of questions about various hot topic issues and then generates a list of which of the remaining presidential candidates are a best match for your worldview. I was a little surprised by my results:

1.) Kucinich. Okay, I guess. I didn't think I was this far to the left, but okay.

2.) Sharpton. What the --? I love that Sharpton ran and that he's stayed in it this long, if only because he's kept some of the candidates honest. He can't win, so what's he got to lose? But I've never been able to get past the Tawana Brawley stuff from the 1980s.

3.) Kerry. I, honestly, never gave Kerry a real thought. Iowa may have changed that, along with the place he took in this little exercise. There's still another 5 weeks and some change before the California primary, so we'll see how he looks.

4.) Dean. Midway through the list. A lot lower than I would have expected. But I'm in the minority, and I thought his barbaric yawp at the end of the Iowa caucus was great. He's a fighter, which I think the Democratic Party needs.

5.) Clark. I can understand why Clinton likes this guy. They're just very tempermentally in sync.

6.) Edwards. He's a blank slate to me. I suppose some people think that's a good thing, but I'm looking for someone with strong ideas this year. We'll see, but I'm not hopeful. He's young, though, and I'd like to see him make another run in 2008 or, even better I think, 2012.

7.) Lieberman. The more he talks, the less I like him. As Jon Stewart said on The Daily Show a couple of weeks ago, "He's the only candidate who's based a campaign entirely on scolding."

8.) Bush. I think he should be everyone's last choice. But then again, what do I know?

And that's it.

(Edited: I had the order Clark and Edwards came back mixed up. It has now been fixed.)

No comments: