Monday, December 20, 2004

Christmas Is Magic

Christmas Is Magic

I went in to Blockbuster this past weekend to rent a couple of movies ("Elf" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," if you must know) and, as is my wont, browsed through the used DVDs. I'm far more willing to buy a used DVD than I was to buy a used VHS tape, even though I did do that once in a while. (Do you know a better way to get Dreyer's "The Passion of Joan of Arc" for $7? I didn't think so.) It's a computer reading a data file, essentially, so the condition of the disc, while it matters, doesn't matter as much as it does when the tape is actually physically running over the heads of the VCR.

Anyway, I found "Angels in America, Parts I and II," and "American Splendor." That was going to be it, but then I found "The Station Agent." At $12.99 each, this was getting expensive, even for used discs. So I put "Angels" back and headed to the counter with my rentals and purchases. The clerk then let me know that they had a sale: 3 for $25. Did I want to look for another movie to buy? I had completely missed the signs, which were literally posted all over the store. (So much for my powers of observation, huh?) I ran back and grabbed, of all things, "Mayor of the Sunset Strip," since the thought had crossed my mind when I first saw it of giving it as a Christmas present to a co-worker as a kind of inside joke.

Saturday night, after watching "Elf," I started to think that I should have gotten "Angels in America," too. At $25 for those two discs plus another movie, I'd be making a really good deal. So after we went to dinner on Sunday night, we returned "Elf" (we still have "Eternal Sunshine" until next Sunday) and I went back to see if I could still find them. I did, and wondered what else I was going to get to complete the troika, when Marisa said, "Hey, look," and held up a DVD.

It was "Topsy-Turvy."

Do you know how hard it is to find that, even when it's NEW? And I got it for, essentially, $8.33.

Christmas IS magic.

(P.S. - I just checked on Amazon; "Topsy-Turvy" is only available used...starting at $59.95.)

No comments: