Monday, February 21, 2005

The State of the Blogosphere

Anil Dash posted this last week.
We're just barely into the phase where normal people have heard the word "blog", and the zealous political bloggers who form a loud, obnoxious minority of bloggers have decided they want their grandmothers to think of blogging as "that thing that gets journalists fired". That sucks, and it's going to limit the number of people who join into our medium. And the zealous tech bloggers who form a loud, obnoxious minority of bloggers have decided they want their grandmothers to think that blogging is "that thing that gets regular people fired". That's not better.

You can't make a medium where there's absolutely zero tolerance for being human and making mistakes. Every political blogger crowing about Eason and Gannon is just sealing the fate of us all when large journalistic organizations start to reciprocate. I know I couldn't stand up to the scrutiny of even the smallest news network or newspaper focusing all its resources on finding my weaknesses, flaws, inconsistencies, or misstatements. Hell, I'd have to eliminate about 90% of the jokes I make from my daily conversations.

Within the comments, someone named "soopa" wrote this:
Being negative is the easiest way to get attention in this medium and others. Anyone can be negative. It is HARD to be constructive. If we continue to build-up foundations built on negativity, there will be no stopping it and it will destroy this medium.

It's something that has stuck with me for the last week and something about which I'd like to write more when I have a chance.

No comments: