Sunday, July 30, 2006

Recommended Listening

I'm an agnostic on the best of days. I have an aversion to organized religion that stems from my distrust crowds, and a belief that while they can be inspired to greatness they are more often and more readily tapped to be a seething mob that lashes out under cover of relative anonymity.

But I can still find talk about questions of belief interesting, and some of those with the deepest faiths also nurse the deepest doubts, which makes them the ones worth listening to. In that vein, I heartily recommend Bill Moyer's new PBS series, On Faith and Reason. (I don't know how long that link will last; it may just take you to whatever his latest project is.) Streaming video is available (in Real and Windows Media formats) on the website, but audio-only podcasts are also available, and highly listenable. (The format is a straightforward sit-down interview, so the visuals are obtional.) You can subscribe through iTunes, but if you have an aversion to things Apple, you can get the RSS feed here.

There's a wealth of material there. PBS is one of the best networks for pulling together a lot of media and providing a lot of information. No wonder radical fundamentalist Republicans want to kill it. But I've said it before and I'll say it again, if PBS puts their programs up for sale in the iTunes Music Store, I'll buy a season pass to "Frontline" in a heartbeat.

No comments: