Sunday, October 19, 2008

Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama

I thought that the Chicago Tribune's endorsement of Barack Obama was a big deal. The first Democrat endorsed by the newspaper in its 160+ year history.

But then there was a hubbub of anticipation over Colin Powell's appearance on "Meet the Press" this morning. I didn't think that he'd do anything either way. He'd hint and suggest, but not do or say anything outright. He's always been a good soldier, a company man, doing his duty and taking his lumps in the way his superiors expected him to. He's a Republican, though, and I thought that he would once again stifle his opinion and thoughts in favor of a larger organization.

But then he actually endorsed Barack Obama for president, in clear and unambiguous terms:



I think I know how the ideologues on the right will counter this. They will do everything they can to remind people that Colin Powell, as Secretary of State, was the one who gave the speech at the United Nations that laid out the Bush administration's case for war with Iraq. He was the one who said that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. And he did. But he didn't do it alone and without the encouragement of Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld's DOD, and the CIA.

I find this all interesting because I wonder what the future of the Republican party will be. Is anyone ideologically pure any more?