Sunday, June 06, 2010

Books Read in 2010: "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson



Why? Why not? Because everyone else seems to be reading it. Or buying it. Or selling it. I can't say that I've seen anyone else reading it, or heard anyone recommend it, but it sure does seem to be on sale everywhere.

Ffor something that is that ubiquitous, it wasn't half bad. I downloaded the second book, "The Girl Who Played With Fire", and it's in queue on my Kindle. Not great literature, but a satisfying summer read.

And I have to admit that I liked that it was set in Sweden. I liked that there were probably all sorts of stock characters and regional types, but that I didn't get the references. I avoid a lot of police/detective genre books because I tire easily of the ex-cop who drinks too much and the corrupt metropolitan police department, the taciturn Northeasterners and the Southern rednecks, all of the tropes that I associate with the laziest of American crime fiction. Unfair to the good stuff, I'm sure, but I don't have the time to wade through all of the best-selling by-the-numbers crap to get to the good stuff.