Sunday, October 10, 2010

"Monsters and Angels" by Voice of the Beehive

For close to 20 years, I have been trying to find this damn song. I remembered it being really beautiful, with a kind of haunting female voice, and that one of the lyrics went "(something) (something) angels." (So I got that part right.) But damn, I couldn't remember who sang it. No one else did, either. (Although now I'm sure that everyone will say, "Oh yeah! I remember that song! Really? You didn't know who did it? I did!")

After years of occasional unsuccessful Google searches, I tried again last night -- "kroq playlist 1991"* -- and found this. There it was at number 38.



And you know what? It's not that good.

Our memories? They lie to us.



* I actually tried "kroq playlist 1990" first, with a vague memory of hearing it in the fall of that year. I guess I was wrong. But I *knew* it was KROQ. EVERYONE at USC listened to KROQ when I went there.