Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Books Read in 2011: "Bossypants" by Tina Fey



Unabridged audio, and I argue that it made for a better experience.

This was kind of an impulse download last week. I wanted something shorter and lighter than some of the other stuff I had in my library, and I like Tina Fey, so I gave it a shot. I was prepared for...I don't know. I didn't think that it would be treacly semi-inspirational working mommy stuff, but I wasn't sure what it would be. I'd read reviews that said it was very funny, but no one really seemed to go into specifics. That's probably because it's funny in the strange, bizarre, absurd, sarcastic way that "30 Rock" and her "Weekend Update" tenure on "Saturday Night Live" were funny. It's sincere, but very aware of it's sincerity, and with a reluctance to convince you that there are a lot of valuable lessons to be learned, all the while teaching you valuable lessons.

Ah, in short, very good, very funny, totally glad that I got the audio version. It's something that I could easily imagine listening to again someday, and will probably buy a paper or e- copy to supplement it someday.