Sunday, August 07, 2011

Books Read in 2011: "Buttered Side Down" by Edna Ferber



Feedbooks

So, I had a plan.

I hatched a scheme for July in which I would try to read at least one different short story, every day, for the entire month. This would be great, I thought, because I wouldn't have to finish a book, just a story. I could hop around from author to author, dip in this collection, try a few in this other one, pull stuff from The New Yorker or other places online. Great, right?

I didn't get very far in my scheme. The last book from June that I was hoping to finish, I hadn't quite finished yet. So that pushed the start back by a few days. And then things like work and life intervened, and left me without a lot of time at the end of the day. I don't mind a reading challenge, but I didn't want to turn it into a chore, either. So stuff just kind of kept sliding away.

Finally, after trying a few odds and ends from a couple of different collections (which I would still like to finish, independent of my "Month in Shorts" concept), I found this collection of Edna Ferber stories on my Kindle, downloaded after I finished another collection, "Gigolo", a few years back. After the first couple of stories, I decided to keep reading all the way through. Once again, I'm pleasantly entertained by her stories, and disappointed that her more famous novels, "Giant" and "Showboat", are not only still under copyright and not readily available from sites like Feedbooks and Gutenberg, but not available as ebooks at all.